The Fishers Island Community Center is pleased to announce that after more than 7 years of tireless effort, we now have secured land for the development of a paddle tennis/pickleball facility adjacent to the Community Center. The property is an ideal site for the project and will allow for much needed storage as well as a year round housing opportunity.
- The courts will enhance the Community Center’s programs by adding paddle tennis recreation and increasing pickleball activities.
- The site has an existing storage facility, the “tin building,” which will not only provide a warming hut for the paddle facility, but add much needed storage for the Community Center. At last Jeanie and her team won’t have to worry about where to store outdoor tables and chairs, supplies for the Café, bowling alley, cleaning and painting.
- Most significantly, the property also presents the opportunity to add much needed housing for the year round community with the restoration of Jose’s, later Ed and Cynthia Riley’s, old home on the north end of the property.
Paddle & Pickleball Project Benefits
- The most obvious benefit is the addition of a fun, family-oriented year-round activity on Fishers. Whether playing paddle or gathering around the fire pit watching others play, the courts will provide a destination to be outdoors, gather and enjoy camaraderie and sport.
- The courts can be converted to pickleball courts so they can be used 12 months a year: pickleball in the spring, summer and fall, paddle all year long.
- The courts will introduce and encourage our community to play paddle tennis, an easy sport to learn.
- The courts will enable the Fishers Island School to incorporate paddle into their sports program and then be able to compete with other schools on the CT shoreline.
- We anticipate the courts (and adjacent warming hut and storage) will serve our entire community, both seasonal and year round, for 12 months a year.
- The project will improve the site next to the Community Center, and also provide the opportunity to renovate the house on the property for a year round residence.
Please consider a donation to help complete this exciting project.
Click the Donate button, or you may use the address below.
Thank you for your continued support of Fishers Island and the Fishers Island Community Center.
For more information, please contact Luke Fowler or Jeanie Cook.
P.O. Box 464, Fishers Island, NY 06390 631-788-7683
Fishers Island Community Center, Inc. is a N.Y. state not-for-profit corporation and is a public charity under I.R.S. Section 501(c)(3) of the code. Tax I.D. number 20-3941546